I've Suffered Too



I see the way you look at me.

Yes, it's true.

I've had a pretty easy life compared to many people.

I've never been physically or sexually abused. My parents are still together after 25 years of marriage. I've been fairly healthy throughout my lifetime and haven't suffered any major health catastrophes. I've never been cheated on by someone I love. I don't have a child with mental or physical handicaps.

You could call me privileged.

But don't you think for one second that means I haven't suffered too.

Don't trivialize my pain just because it's different than yours.


Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2
You know what this verse does not say?

It does not say, "Bear one another's burdens, as long as you consider it to be worth your time."

It does not say, "Bear one another's burdens if they have suffered in the same way or to the same degree as you."

Just because someone has not suffered the way you have does not mean you can judge them or look down on them.

I'm tired of your condescension and dismissal of what I've been through.

I've suffered too.

I've been targeted and taken advantage of because of the color of my skin. I've lost every friend in the world and battled overwhelming loneliness. I've watched those I love most be manipulated, degraded, ignored, and misunderstood. I've lost 5 babies in the span of 16 months. I've cried myself to sleep more nights than I can count. I've endured the condemnation of others when I was doing things that weren't even wrong. I've battled depression and even fleeting thoughts of self-injury and suicide.

I've suffered too...

And God sees my pain. He cares.

Even when you don't.

So next time you look at someone, don't look down on them just because they've had an "easy" life.

The woman standing in front of you in line at Walmart is a single mom who just lost her job and can't figure out how she's going to make ends meet for her 3 kids.

Your next-door neighbor just lost his sister to breast cancer.

The man you sit next to on the bus is a pastor whose son just told them he's gay.

All of them join me in saying,

"I've suffered too.

And I need you to show me the love of Jesus."


Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Romans 12:15


How have you suffered? Do you struggle with looking down on others who haven't had the same struggles as you? 

Comments

Popular Posts